Monday 21 January 2013

BOOK READS: PENTECOST (ARKANE SERIES #1)

First, I didn't know about this book until I was researching the internet about Self-Publishing and Writing Ebooks. I stumbled on Ms. Joanna Penn's website called The Creative Penn which luckily provided me with so much information regarding the said topics.

Second, I was drawn with the cover and I am the type of reader who sometimes picked a book for the reason that I couldn't get enough of the cover. I was disappointed because the premise is good but the narrative itself didn't match the beauty that I see in the cover. But of course there are those books that exceeded  my expectation and the book Pentecost by Joanna Penn is one of those...

From the title itself I was already sold! Pentecost - I imagined a story woven from the biblical history and myth of the old. As much as being a Fantasy Fiction fan, I am also a sucker for historical fiction most especially if it's embroidered with biblical wonders that I also find interesting. I am not going to put any spoilers on this post because I wanted you guys to get the book and experience it yourself. I'll just talk about how I feel about reading this book but I will just be vague instead of being technical.

Ms. Penn's narrative is fast pace and so for readers who enjoy highly action scenes with a lot of fighting, guns and stubbing, this book will not disappoint you as it offers a lot of it in every chapter. I loved that the main character is a woman because as a reader, I am also a sucker for girl power theme in a book as much as in film. The demographic that the characters covered in Pentecost as they embarked in a journey to find the Stone of the Apostles is wide. Traveling from Middle East to Spain to Europe then North America and also Africa - I have to say I totally enjoyed reading these scenes.

Though the only problem I have for this book is that, as I go farther with the pages I was so enamored with the narrative and I failed to understand more about the characters. The characters didn't grow inside of me and I didn't feel anything for them but the narrative and the mystery about the myth of the Apostles and their stone are very much intriguing and juicy. Enough for me to go on and order the second and third book.

This book is a Gem!

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment