Sunday 26 March 2017

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE - HAPPY KAAMULAN FESTIVAL

My province of Bukidnon is currently celebrating the highly anticipated festival of the year called Kaamulan Festival, which normally held in the province capital city of Malaybalay.

Kaamulan means gathering and in the older times, it is the time of the year were ethnic people from different Tribal groups will climb down the mountain to gather in festivity and meet with the locals. Of coarse there is an origin there somewhere but let's leave that to the historians and the scholars to talk about the boring stuff.

As a fantasy fiction writer, I'd rather talk about an alternate reality which originate only during my day dreams and I wrote a book about it. The title is "Asician and the Portal of the Tribes Realm"
 
One of the reasons why I wrote the book -  it was my shameless way of promoting the seven tribal groups of my own province in Bukidnon. I know that what I was doing wasn't enough but at least I was doing something. I will always be a son of Mindanao and a son of a farmer to be particular from my humble little town in Valencia City in Bukidnon. I grew up knowing the majestic mountains that my province offers, the beautiful springs that sprout from the foot of these mountains, the fresh streams and amazing lakes. Nature is abundant in Bukidnon and upon entering the vast province, you will see ranches and different plantations of rice, pineapple, corn, sugarcane and vegetables - which is indeed a haven for farmers.

Aside from all of this. Bukidnon is a home for the 7 Tribes who was said to be the first ethnicity inhabited the vast terrain. This is their land and we are just the occupants. Their story of old inspired me when I was a kid and every time I saw one of them o the street, I was always fascinated even now. That's why I felt terrible for not having attended the festival for so many years now. Well, I could blame it on my day job. (Wink)

Also, the coolest part of being a novelist is the amount of research that I need to do to learn more about the subject. I've known stories about tribal people from the elders; meaning, my aunt, grand parents and even my parents. But in order for me to write about them, I feel like it's my responsibility to at least take a deeper learning about the tribal people of my province. But we're in the digital world now and I don't need the confine of a huge Library to get the information that I need. Everything is a click of the mouse and you just need the right URL and wallah!

So I wrote the book. I daydream about these characters like they are my friends and to be able to follow their adventure as if I was there, it was a joy and a fulfillment that only a writer would know.

In this celebration! To the 7 Tribes who grace the South City of Pines and to my beautiful province of Bukidnon - Happy Kaamulan Festival everyone! May the God Magbabaya and Goddess Dagingon will grant all of your prayers. Let the gong of the Salambing reaches the heavens and let the limbag chants reach the ears of the Almighty.

As I have said, I will always be a son of Bukidnon and the winding Sayre Highway of Mindanao will always be my road less traveled. I will always be that kid sitting beside the window of the Bachelor Transit watching the mountainous region and cheered every time I saw a horse running freely in the meadows.

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment