Saturday 22 April 2017

BOOK REVIEWS : THE IMMORTALS

The Immortals is a fantasy fiction debut novel by an amazing writer - Jordanna Max Brodsky.  It's the first book in the series called Olympus Bound. A fresh tale about our beloved gods and goddesses from the Greek Mythology.

Obviously, Brodsky has a wide rage of knowledge regarding the subject. It seems that her understanding about myths and legends is beyond what is written in history books and scrolls. Aside from the fact that she has a degree in History and Literature from Harvard according to her goodreads profile. This is probably the reason why she's able to write this book effortlessly and perceived these immortal characters as if they're living among us today. I mean, who knows right?

Honestly, I randomly picked this book because of it's title. As a fantasy fiction enthusiast, anything that has something to do with Immortals, white people withe fangs or wings are interesting for me. I was a skeptic at first because I am the type of reader who don't normally check reviews before burying myself into the pages. I just dive head first! HA!  I always feel that my perception about a certain book is my own. It might be a best seller but if everything about the book is so distant and unrelatable for me then that book is a major let down. I am a sucker for good cover and I want the characters to seduce me for me to keep flipping the pages. I don't normally give up on books but there are few that I just can't finish and I just have to stop and put it aside.

The Immortal is surprisingly amazing! I enjoyed every second of this book and I loved all the references Brodsky used to explain plainly what is happening inside in every plot.

Divinity is living among us - that's the idea of the book it presents. These Deities, they existed for millennia and ruled the pagan world but because the pagan worship was destroyed thousands of years ago when the civilization started to change and when the new religion came forth.

Yes! It seems like Yahweh killed Zeus. shocker!




So what happens to the gods without their devoted worshipers? Their graces diminished until their divine light fades away. This is what happened to the Greek Gods and Goddesses of Mount Olympus. Now, after the Diaspora happened, they are scattered everywhere in the world. Some of them still dwells in the old world waiting for some faithful follower to revive the worship but others just moved on and live like mortals do. Surprisingly, a lot of them ended up living in the concrete jungle of New York as if they're drawn to the skyscrapers and its secret undergrounds.

The book follows the mighty Goddess of the Hunt, protector of the innocent, the relentless one, moonbeam, mistress of the moon, sworn to celibacy and lady of the hound, one of the delian twins - the Goddess Artemis or as preferred to be called Selene deSilva.

She had lived for so many lifetime but most of it blurred in her memory as the fading of her godliness diminished through the years. But Selene is true to her calling as the protector of the innocents and of course she is the ultimate feminist because she only protect women as her charge.

But ancient rituals is revived in her name and once again she taste the incalculable amount of power as a goddess and became Artemis once again. But there's always a consequence, because embracing Artemis will only meant one thing - She will loose Selene in the process, her version of humanity.

A choice has to be made.

The great thing about this book is that Brodsky did her best to humanize the gods and they are thrown into mortal living were they have to make choices for their own and suffer for the consequences after. It made them relatable for me and I ended up rooting for the main characters to actually make the right decision. Brodsky did a great job putting the pieces together and making the greek mythology fresh again but still all elements that we love about the myths are still there. The mystery, the fun, the magic, the fucked up deities and many more... It's amazing and I am hooked.

I'm definitely going to read book 2 and will blog about it very SOON.

Xoxo

   
 



No comments:

Post a Comment