Thursday 28 March 2013

BOOK READS: SHOOTING KABUL

I am very particular when it comes to genre of the book that I wanted to read. Lots of times I'm drawn to the cover of the book that makes me want to read them.   I don't consider this a good idea but of coarse it's not a bad idea either.
Just that, all through these years of spending hours in a bookstore particularly in a book-sale, I learned to flip at least few pages of the book and read the teaser of the story written normally at the back before purchasing it. I no longer rely on the the book cover itself.

The book cover and the content are totally different thing, created by totally different mind. There are lots of great books out there with stories that will pinch a heart with just a very simple cover. There are also a lot of awesome covers out there that will give you a straight to the trash-can stories.

"Shooting Kabul" by N. H. Senzai is one of those great stories with simple cover. First, this book is not actually my genre because I am more interested with genre that deals around Fantasy Fiction and Supernatural stuff. So to say the least, this book is way out of my comfort zone. But just lately I decided to open myself to other genre to broaden my views. I want to learn more about sub-cultural books, historical fiction and thriller. A good autobiography is a go for me and some books that dwells between chic-lit or satirical prose probably written by female comedian or gay authors. 

Now, this gem of a book is from the sale section of the bookstore and I really got it in a very low price. The cover was just a so-so but the thing that caught me is the thought about a family escaping from the border of Afghanistan in the midst of the Taliban war. The journey that the family took to get to that border so they can hop on the Truck that will take them to America with the Asylum Visa given to people living in a war zone. The entire story is told by a young protagonist as one of the member of the family escaping. His younger sister has been left behind in the midst of the chaos when the truck comes and lots of family who wanted to escape the war are pushing their way to get into the truck. Because the little girl is so young, she loose her grip and lost her way to get into the truck.

The entire story is told in a subtle way and every scene and struggle of the family when they get to America is palpably executed well. The burden of our young protagonist is raw for his age and I really feel for the kid. He is a dreamer like me, but of coarse he shape his dreams to help solve his family's problem but because he is still young, he can only do much. The frustration that he feels is very real for me. A lot of times I choke to fight back tears.

This book also deals about how Afgan. families cope during the time of the 7/11 tragedy. This particular struggle is experience by our young protagonist when one of his schoolmates call him terrorist. 

All in all, I totally love this book. It's a simple read but it fills the heart with knowledge and love for religion, country and for being alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment